Team-building activities are good for morale— and business
During times of crisis, encouraging your team to socialize and bond is more important than ever. Not only is socializing crucial for employee mental and physical well-being, but it can also help keep the business healthy in a stressed economy.
Encouraging socializing with team-building activities increases employee engagement, which can lead to more profitable teams. According to a recent Gallup study, highly engaged teams had 41% less absenteeism and 59% less turnover.
Try one of these 22 fun team-building activities to help engage your remote team. Whether you have just 5 minutes for group activities or the resources to go all out, there’s something for everyone.
Personalize simple team-building activities. Try a conference call bingo template and printable postcards or using gift tags to make s’mores kits for the team. (Avery 8386 and 22849)
Simple team-building activities to engage your team online
Activities with minimal up front commitment are a low-risk way to test “proof of concept” for further developing team building exercises.
2) Virtual happy hour. Happy hour is a team-building activity that’s very easy to move online. Invite everyone to meet in video chat with the beverage of their choice and let conversation happen naturally.
3) Virtual campfire. Send out personalized s’mores kits . Encourage people in the video chat to share scary stories, play music and sing-along to campfire songs. You can even share a YouTube campfire video for team members to cue up on their TV.
4) Play simple games online. One of our favorite games to play during virtual happy hour is skribbl.io which is a basic drawing-based guessing game that’s easy to pick up quickly.
5) Share online puzzles. Send your team a weekly link to an online puzzle. Use a free online puzzle site that lets you upload custom images, such as your company logo, a funny meme or photos from past company events.
5-minute team-building activities you can do in group chat
Starting small is a great way to introduce new team-building strategies and techniques in the office. If you’re tight on time, try this quick 5-minute team-building activities that are perfect for group chat.
6) Have a GIF battle. Ask participants to submit GIFs on a theme such as: (1) type your name in a GIF search and post the first result, 2) describe your day/week/weekend with a GIF, 3) start a sentence that participants must finish with a GIF.
7) Picture of your life. Help people get to know each other better with a photo challenge. For example: (1) share a pic from your weekend, (2) share a photo of your favorite meal, (3) share a pic of a family member that makes you laugh.
8) Meme of the week. Provide topic themes to get everyone started, like jokes about your specific industry, animals or being a parent. Not only does humor brighten up your day, research on shared laughter suggests it’s closely tied to social bonding.
Say cheers with our custom cocktail kit recipe postcard template for Avery 5689 and a matching label template for Avery 22828. Or send your team some sunshine with fun note card or label templates to create quarterly “happy mail.”
DIY team-building activities with gifts to show appreciation
Create curated appreciation gifts with personalized packaging to pull it all together. Mix it up from time to time and send gifts that go along with group activities to encourage socializing.
8) Next-level happy hour. Add a virtual bartending session to your happy hour. Send out personalized cocktail kits with ingredients so that everyone make the cocktail together and enjoy while catching up.
9) Quarterly happy mail. Surprise your team members with a package in the mail. Add a custom note card or shipping label to turn anything into a personalized gift, whether it’s tech gadgets, chocolate, wine, gift cards or coffee and tea samplers.
Promote personal growth with team-building activities
Team-building activities that include learning and growing creates both stronger individuals and stronger teams.
10) Keep gratitude journals. Research investigating gratitude and well-being suggests that gratitude is linked to increased determination, attention, enthusiasm and energy. Show your team how to create their own gratitude journal and encourage sharing reflections on gratitude in your weekly calls.
11) Take a fun virtual class together. From prominent ballet schools offering free ballet lessons online to free drawing classes, it’s easier than ever to gather the team for a rewarding team-building experience.
12) Virtual lunch and learn. Send out e-gift cards to cover lunch, then gather the team online for videos from past conferences, an interesting webinar or a LinkedIn Learning Course .
Bond over favorite foods using our Recipe Book Starter Kit (Avery 19915) and cover template. Make your own recipe cards with our free template for 4-1/4” x 5-1/2” postcards and laminating sheets (Avery 5689 & Avery 73601).
Remote team-building activities that encourage sharing
Group activities that encourage sharing personal stories helps your team form lasting relationships for better collaboration.
13) Recipe round up. Have your team submit a recipe on a theme like “rad cookie recipes” or “grandma’s specialty” to assemble into a keepsake recipe book for the team. Gather together for a virtual potluck where everyone has made the recipe they submitted.
14) Create a birth place map. Ask participants to share their birth place and add a “pin” in a virtual map to create a visual of everyone’s “origin story.”
15) 2 truths and a lie. Each day (or week) have a different team member share two truths and a lie about themselves. Have everyone guess which one is the lie.
Cooperative online team-building activities for groups
Cooperative games have a built in team-work dynamic that can act as a training session for real-life collaborative work.
16) Virtual escape room. A virtual escape room is an exciting team-building activity that requires cooperation to complete a range of clues, puzzles and challenges before time runs out.
17) Photo scavenger hunt. Create a list of photo ops your team can accomplish at home and divide the team into pairs or small groups to take pictures of themselves completing each task. The first group to submit photos of all the tasks wins!
18) Organize a Dungeons & Dragons game. If your team favors comic-con over fantasy football league, D&D is the perfect team-building game. D&D features a group of characters with specialized skills and a common goal. Much like the real world, no one can successfully play alone.
Create work-specific “expansion packs” for traditional board games using printable business cards (Avery 5371) and our free templates that you can customize with text and your company logo.
Team-building activities that tap into your company’s culture
Incorporate your company culture and branding with personalized team-building activities that foster team spirit.
19) Virtual Card Games. Create custom “expansion packs” for traditional board games that feature fun twists specific to your company or industry. Send the packs to your team members with other supplies for game play like colorful markers. Have players mix in their company cards and play in teams on video chat.
20) Creative product challenges. Gather all those product samples lying around and challenge your team to use them to create works of art. Or give your team a product sample and challenge them to find at least three unexpected ways to use it.
21) “Hidden Talent” contest. Shake things up and get fresh perspectives by hosting in-house contests for artwork, slogans, product ideas, blog posts etc.
22) Inter-departmental competition. Encourage team leaders and managers to coordinate small team-building activities (picture of the week, GIF challenges etc.) and award “points” for participation. Award the department with the most points “bragging rights” and announce the champion in a company email.
More resources for team-building activities
We make it easy to find all the tools you need to create custom supplies for team-building activities, including fast, easy professional printing solutions. You can also explore helpful videos for designing your own custom labels, tags and cards using our free online design software.
Just want to send your team some appreciation gifts for all their hard work? Check out our gallery for personalized gifting templates.
Products Used in This Article
Printable Postcards 4″ x 6″ (8386)
Printable Gift Tags 1-1/2″ x 1-1/2″ (22849)
Self- Laminating Sheets 9″ x 12″ (73601)
Notary Seals, 2” diameter (5868/94608)
Printable Postcards 4-1/4″ x 5-1/2″ (5689)
Durable Removable Labels 1-1/4″ x 1-3/4″ (22828/94226)
Blank Printable Note Cards 4-1/4″ x 5-1/2″ (8315)
Shipping Labels with TrueBlock® 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″ (18126/ 94229)
Printable Business Cards 2″ x 3-1/2″ (5371)
Marks-A-Lot® Permanent Markers, Assorted Colors (9231)