You’re always looking for ways to cut down—whether it’s the amount of money you spend, the time you use, the things you consume, or even the steps you take to tackle your tasks. What’s one way you can cover all these things at once? Practice simple living.
Going green by reducing consumption, reusing goods, and recycling materials can help simplify your lifestyle by focusing on what you need, not what you want. Many people have found a simplified lifestyle can actually improve their quality of life. Here are some ideas on how you can simplify, too.
1. Make small changes to your routine.
Even little changes to your everyday life can add up to help make a difference. Here are some easy tips you can start at any time (if you haven’t already!):
- Use less energy. Make a switch to Energy Star®-qualified products and light bulbs. Shut down the computer, and unplug electronic devices when not in use. Set the thermostat a little lower than you normally would during the winter and higher for summer. Wash clothes in cold water, if possible, and hang them to dry.
- Conserve water. While you’re waiting for the bath or shower water to warm up, capture the colder water in buckets and use to water the garden. Time your showers and see if you can shorten the time. Install a low-flow showerhead.
- Cut back on fuel. Drive less and take public transportation, a bicycle, or just walk. When you must drive - consolidate your trips, such as when you’re doing errands. Keep your car in shape by making sure it’s properly maintained. Take it in for tune-ups, keep tires properly inflated, change your oil and use the recommended grade of motor oil.
2. Recycle your product packaging.
3. Transition to sustainable supplies.
Another way to “greenify” is to start replacing your current products with earth-friendlier choices.
- Cleaning supplies. Did you know you can make your own cleaning products with just a few simple ingredients? Care2.com shows you how to make a non-toxic cleaning kit with household items such as baking soda, vinegar, and soap (and help you cut down the cleaning products clutter under the sink).
- Office supplies. Making a switch to recycled copy paper and biodegradable pencils is just the beginning. Avery offers a line of earth-friendly office supplies that work for you and the environment, including Avery EcoFriendly Address Labels, Avery EcoFriendly Shipping Labels, and Avery EcoFriendly Dividers.
- Personal care. From soaps and shampoos to toothpaste and toilet paper, you’ll find a greener solution to all your everyday products. Look for products that come without all that extra packaging.
4. Reuse what you use.
Another great way to cut down on waste is to reuse what you already have. For example, you can extend the life of used cardboard boxes by reusing them for shipping or moving. With Avery Shipping Labels with TrueBlock® Technology, it’s easy to keep up your green commitment and still give your packages a neat, professional appearance. Place these labels over existing labels or markings on old boxes, and they’ll completely cover up what’s underneath.
5. Remember responsibility with little reminders.
Whether you want to remind the kids to turn off the lights, or write a quick note for yourself to replace the air filters at home, little notes can remind you to be more efficient everywhere you go.
Simple solutions can also be green solutions. And by living a greener lifestyle, you can reduce your impact on the environment. Any step you take to go green is a step in the right direction, and you’ll find more and more ways to take better care of the planet each step of the way.